Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Week 7 Post #16 Wikis

Information from the various resouces:
A Wiki is a quick-to-build, easy-to-edit website on which all information can be edited, changed, or rewritten by the users or members of the site. It is an incredibly useful tool for collaborative writing, pooling knowledge or exchanging ideas, especially on a subject that changes or needs updating frequently. It comes from the Hawaiian phrase "wiki wiki" which means something fast. The advantage and the weakness are the same: anyone can edit it. A wiki is a good way of gathering facts quickly and pooling expertise from a large number of people.

"A wiki can become a repository for the collective knowledge of the library community; a place where anyone can share their success stories, advice, and useful materials. I created the Library Success Wiki http://www.libsuccess.org/ to be a one-stop-shop for great ideas for librarians. If a librarian has done something at their library that they consider a success, they can write about it in the wiki." Meredith Farkas.

Libraries and Librarians can use wikis in several ways, some of which include: subject guides, annotated catalogs, ALA conference info, policy manuals, and as a resource pool. Of course there are many more ways to use wikis, it is only limited by our imaginations.

I enjoyed looking at the different wikis. The one I will probably find most useful is the Book Lovers Wiki. I can use it for reader's advisory and to help with book club selections.

I added my blog to the iHcpl wiki and several movies to the movie favoirites:
I have several favorites too, one is (like Margaret) The Princess Bride and another is Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck. I really like the Mummy movies with Brendan Frasier.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Who couldn't like the Princess Bride! :) It has everything! One of the best swordfights I've ever seen (the only movie to come close was the three-way sword fight in the last Pirates movie on the water wheel!), it has "true love", it has the young man searching for his father's killer, etc. etc.! --Margaret

Lunanshee said...

Princess Bride is also one of my favorite movies of all time (especially now that I am a fencer). Another good sword fight is in the more modern version of The Count of Monte Cristo and in Disney's Three Musketeers...

YAY SWORDS!

Other movies I love: Labyrinth, Legend, Braveheart, Pirates (1-3), and the Mummy Movies.

Booker said...

"My name is Indigo Montoya and you killed my father."

Ya I really liked the water wheel fight in Pirates too.