Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Week 7 Post #17 Technology

I think that technology has been tremendously helpful to the library world and our customers. I just never planned on spending so much time as a repairman and trouble shooter on computers, copiers, fax machines and printers. Not to mention having to teach people how to get on the Internet, open or save a file, send things to the printer, or how to just plain turn things on.


I graduated with my MLS in 1994 and so came in about the time the libraries were making the big change to automation and online catalogs. The small library branch in Ohio where I started still had a card catalog, but they were no longer keeping it current, and things just kept changing all the time the Dayton&Montgomery County Public Library - now called the Dayton Metro Library.

Whatever, we know technology is here to stay and the pace of change is ever increasing. So buckle up.

1 comment:

Monica Colson said...

I feel like your avatar today! With the internet not working on any of our workstations at our branch and our OPAC not working. I understand that the servers were down as a result of the a power outaged at the central office however they were working but I guess they were just teasing us. I enjoyed reading your blog. Technology is great when it is working...