Tuesday, August 26, 2008

iHcpl Wellness #42 - Staying Well

I put these symptoms into the symptom checker: stiff neck, tingling arms and feet. It listed several possible causes for the stiff neck and indicated that I should see a doctor if it included tingling, numbness, or pain in the arms, hands, or feet. Here are some of the suggested conditions: cervical spondylosis, herniated disk, spinal stenosis, or osteoarthritis.

I tried the pill identifier. The medication I chose is a generic and although there were generics for this one shown, I thought I couldn't find a match, but once I went home and looked again I realized that I had seen a match. The website was easy to use.

I used Medline Plus Go Local to look for resources for Heart Disease in the local area.
List of resources within 10 miles of 77388 for Heart Disease:
http://tinyurl.com/6ea6vb

I made a family medical history tree. This could be useful for our family since 6 of 7 children in my family (my siblings and I) were born with the same heart defect: atrial septal defect (a hole in the wall between the upper chambers of the heart). One sibling died at 16 days old and three of us had surgery to close the hole when we were children. One sister had a procedure done last year in her fifties when the condition was also discovered in her. It wasn't found when she was a child and she had no symptoms until menopause started. My younger brother's hole was so small that it closed on its own and he didn't need surgery. We made the Minneapolis papers back in the 60's when my parents were going through all of this.

I can see where a record of genetic and other conditions could be a useful thing for families, although there was no family history of this condition that we were aware of and my obstetrician said that my chances of having a baby with this heart condition were no greater than anyone else's in the general population. It was just the combination of my parent's genes.

No comments: