Thursday, August 21, 2008

iHCPL #41 part 2 - going green

I have already started doing many of the things listed in the City of Houston website. We now use many fluorescent lights, we set out thermostat higher or lower for savings, and we had our A/C checked. We still need to get in the attic and check the ducts for leaks.

We do as much recycling as we can without having curbside recycling. We have voted for it twice in our subdivision, but it has not passed yet! What are these people thinking? My husband and I also pickup trash on the sidewalks and boulevards when we take our daily walks. Many cans and plastic bottles get recycled this way. I was a natural resources conservation major in college eons ago and so things like this are important to me.

It is hard not to drive with a cold engine because I only drive 3.5 miles to work and so the car hardly gets warm before I get here and it is wasteful to let it run to warm up, the suggestions say to not idle the car.

We usually drive 65 or less, use the cruise control, have no pod on the car, don't use premium gas and we keep the tires properly inflated.

No comments: