Monday, November 19, 2007

Week 10, Post # 23 Summary

The 23 Things fit in my life plan of taking any training offered to broaden my knowledge base and to keep up with changes in the library field and beyond. My goal is to "keep up with the times." Fat chance, however before going through the 23 things, I had already created a blog, created a Del.icio.us account, had an RSS feed to a bloglines account and downloaded books from Overdrive to my MP3 player. I learned more about each of those things, as well as picking up new information for use at work and in my personal life.

Some of my favorites were blogging, Wikis (Book Lovers Wiki) and LibriVox. I blog about the book club that I moderate monthly at the library and I use many sources to select books for the group to read. I think the Book Lovers Wiki will be helpful in that regard. I plan to look closer at LibriVox to see if it is easier to use than Overdrive.

It would be very easy to waste a lot of time pretending to work when blogging, social networking, listening to podcasts and viewing videos on YouTube. I can also see where these type of activities can suck up a life. No wonder it is hard to attract people to the library for programs.

I am looking forward to more training, but I hope the next round is scheduled better. Three activities a week is too many when we have other work to do and desks to man (or woman). Someone mentioned once a month, but I think once a week would be OK as long as there was truly only one project that week. I wondered from the start how we were going to do 23 projects in only nine weeks.

No comments: